A little appreciation for the community here

Hi, long time Vim (and Emacs previously) user here, finally going to jump all in with Kakoune. I’ve tried it out a few minutes in the past here and there, but it seemed like such a mountain to get to the same workflow I used in Vim.

Vim scripting broke me, it really did. Integrating tools into Vim was always a battle full of edge cases and well…vim scripting. More and more I embraced the UNIX-way of using Vim just for editing, and offloading other things to other tools and avoiding mixing the two. Naturally, the end result is I end up here, looking to switch to an editor where that is part of its philosophy.

The community here is engaged and helpful, and the level of knowledge and civil discussion is a large part of the reason I decided to take the plunge with Kakoune. I hope it continues that way. I’ve seen the Vim community slowing coming apart at the seams as the community fragments between pro-plugin/anti-plugin/anti-neovim/pro-neovim stances, and every shade in between.

11 Likes

This makes me really happy, as that was the entire reason for this site. To give users a bit of community and a backstop to support them exploring Kakoune. Glad to have you!

5 Likes

Thanks, I really appreciate it. It feels like an exciting time to join this community!

1 Like

A lot of people like kakoune for the multicursors and word/action design, but for me the best part is how well it is to integration with other tools!
Sometime If I need some kind of automation, I’ll just quickly hack a script for that with my favorite language . 30min later I’m back to work and I can call my plugin with kakoune’s ! shell piping

@gustavo-hms said in another post that programming is all about community. I feel that joining kakoune community was joining a community that have great taste and share the same value I believe in.

2 Likes

Same for me. Probably the reason why I dismissed it at first. I may seem the multiple cursors feature differently later, but it seems to be a nice feature, not an essential one that will make you leave Vim/NeoVim, at least it wasn’t for me: someone who tried to stay closer to vanilla Vim way of doing things.

This is exactly it for me too. There was a subset of the Vim community I loved being a part of and it was about using unix tools in unixy ways.

1 Like

Same! I’ve used vim for about 10 years now and only been using kak for a couple weeks, but I already find it 100x more enjoyable to tweak my kakrc than my vimrc.

1 Like