Roam Research: A note-taking tool for networked thought

For anyone interested, here is a curated list of tools similar to Roam. Enjoy.

Is not folder structure with markdown and find + xargs grep not enough for this? I did little bit of research but I would like to use my unix ide (kakoune + nnn + gnu scree + fzf + find + grep) to manage notes and so far it work quite good, only problems I have are

• I did not find sufficient toolchain to use on phone, so for now I use samsung notes as inbox and then rewrite them on laptop
  • working with image or audio files is cumbersome
  • I suspect that I will hit performance issues when I will have enough notes, but I think I can fix that easily by creating some index file instead of always findxargsgreping

I have unsubscribed from Roam Research. This isn’t because it failed to do anything it promised. My primary reason was – I am easily distracted.

Google Keep and Roam Research (or Org Mode, etc) are polar opposites. Keep takes away the temptation to over-index, over-organize and over-formatting by not letting you do much of it at all – the bare minimum of features.

It turns out without this limitation I am weak and will spend a lot of time organizing, structuring and doing other formatting things that never yield a return on that investment. I do love the idea of “today” being the default space, so now I just make dated notes in keep – 2021-10-25.

Still think RR is great and would be amazing for a team or a specific topic (notebook) – but as a sort of “write down my life” – it ended up letting me get distracted too often. PEBCAK.

2 Likes