On an another slightly unrelated note, on the system where ‘supposedly’ everything was running smooth, the
<a-I> combination as it was implemented on the excellent Ability to split object selections plugin was simply not working.
Checked, rechecked, double checked, checked again, but nothing.
On rxvt-unicode mouse scrolling was sending characters back and forth to the screen! Well, not so much back from, but rather into the screen akin to planet earth getting bombarded by comets, meteorites in hit-and-miss ruthless fashion.
Anyhow, back to xterm, nothing worked. I gave up.
<a-I> wasn’t doing anything.
I checked on the desktop environment looking for clues, But nothing yet. But then I checked again against my other configuration file and there ti was as I remember setting it up once
xterm*metaSendsEscape set to true.
This downloadable link ftp://www.x.org/pub/X11R6.8.0/PDF/ctlseqs.pdf
confirms it with Don’t send ESC when Meta modifies a key (disables the
edit but what
metaSendsEscape is going to disable, if it’s by default disabled. It was never enabled until after… and which in turn made the command
a-I from the plugin to work on that system … sigh