'add-highlighter' no window in context

I’ve build kakoune v2019.01.20 myself* and my autoload directory points to the correct files (that is to those from v2019.01.20).

When starting kakoune (with or without my own kakrc) I get a lot of errors. Mostly 'add-highlighter' no window in context

/home/user/.config/kak/autoload/base/clojure.kak:16:1: ‘add-highlighter’ no window in context
Autoload: could not load /home/user/.config/kak/autoload/base/clojure.kak
/home/user/.config/kak/autoload/base/css.kak:14:1: ‘add-highlighter’ no window in context
Autoload: could not load /home/user/.config/kak/autoload/base/css.kak
/home/user/.config/kak/autoload/base/ctags.kak:9:1: ‘define-command’ unknown option ‘-shell-script-candidates’
Autoload: could not load /home/user/.config/kak/autoload/base/ctags.kak
/home/user/.config/kak/autoload/base/d.kak:14:1: ‘add-highlighter’ no window in context
Autoload: could not load /home/user/.config/kak/autoload/base/d.kak
/home/user/.config/kak/autoload/base/etc.kak:16:1: ‘add-highlighter’ no window in context
Autoload: could not load /home/user/.config/kak/autoload/base/etc.kak
/home/user/.config/kak/autoload/base/file.kak:1:1: ‘hook’ Unknown hook 'BufOpenFile

But also some 'hook' wrong argument count etc.

I’d need some pointer on how to debug this. The md5sum of the clojure.kak is 491af9a2d1fac7d257392f6b8b9028a4, which matches the one from the git tag, so nothing seems to be mixed up w.r.t. the rc files.

Thank you very much!

* using the nix package manager but linking against ncurses5, which fixes display issues

The no window in context errors indicate that the .kak files being sourced are outdated compared to the current kak binary, and the syntax used inside is not valid anymore.
What kind of files are the ones in ~/.config/kak/autoload, are they symlink or did you copy them manually? Can you make sure that they’re the same as the one in ${your_kak_binary_dir}/../share/kak/rc/?