Did you swap : (colon) and ; (semicolon) keys?

On a QWERTY keyboard, you need to press shift while hitting the physical key next to L to produce a : instead of ;

I think that entering the prompt mode (:) is a way more common operation than reducing the selections to their cursors (;)
So swapping these 2 keys in normal mode feels the right choice for me. Are there any drawbacks?

Surprisingly, on the ADM 3A terminal used by Bill Joy to write vi, the colon key is not even located on the home row. It’s weird that he didn’t use the more accessible ; key as a way to enter prompt mode. Maybe because of ed legacy.

My muscle memory was too strong when I’ve started my Vim journey 6 years ago, so I actually used shift+6 to enter command mode for long time, because that’s the location of colon in Cyrillic layout. Though I don’t use Cyrillic that much now, and I’m fully comfortable with shift+;

I haven’t, but it sounds like a good idea so I’m going to give it a try

I have prompt mode mapped to <space><space> (to be precise <leader><space>, and <leader> mapped to <space>). I borrowed it from Spacemacs and quite happy with it.

1 Like

I feel like I try to avoid using the prompt in my normal workflow, so optimizing around it isn’t that important to me. I try to creating bindings for stuff I would drop to prompt for.

I find that changing the selection is more common than using the prompt. Same as @ulis , I remaped the prompt to <leader><space> and I find it better that anything.

Interesting - what did you map the original <space> (exit multiple selections) to?

map global normal <backspace> <space>                                             -docstring 'remove all sels except main'
map global normal <a-backspace> <a-space>                                         -docstring 'remove main sel'
2 Likes