Didnt Folding impliment yet?

i come from nvim and read this
i wanna use folding for markdown and some config file
also question.
I see that the kakoune plugins are archived or have stopped being updated except for kak-lsp, but I wonder if the community is stagnant and everyone has gone to helix, etc.? Or is it just because they are mature and have not been changed?

here’s an implementation I used to use. It’s fairly brittle but also quite simple :slight_smile:
I think I stopped using it because of the scrolling issues. YMMV

declare-option range-specs my_fold_ranges
hook global BufCreate [^*].* %{ add-highlighter buffer/my-fold replace-ranges my_fold_ranges }
map global view f %{<esc>:my-fold<ret>} -docstring fold
map global view u %{<esc>:my-unfold<ret>} -docstring unfold
define-command my-fold %(
	evaluate-commands -draft %(
		execute-keys %{<a-i>iH}
		evaluate-commands %sh(
			lines="$(printf %s\\n "$kak_selection" | wc -l)"
			indent="$(printf %s "$kak_selection" | sed 's/\t/        /g;s/[^ ].*//;q')"
			# extract the first line of the range, without leading whitespace
			line="$(printf %s "$kak_selection" | sed 's/^\s*//;q')"
			# escape for a Kakoune markup string
			line="$(printf %s "$line" | sed 's/%/%%/g;s/{/\\{/g;'"s/'/''/g")"
			summary="$indent {yellow}### $lines lines ###{default} $line"
			replacements="$(printf " '%s|$summary'" $kak_selections_desc)"
			printf %s "evaluate-commands -verbatim set-option -add buffer my_fold_ranges $replacements"
		)
	)
	execute-keys <a-i>i<a-semicolon>k
)
define-command my-unfold %{
	set-option buffer my_fold_ranges
}

I wonder if the community is stagnant and everyone has gone to helix, etc.? Or is it just because they are mature and have not been changed?

At least the plugins I use (other than kak-lsp) have small scope so they don’t need many changes (same as Kakoune core).
In terms of this post, Helix focuses on usability while Kakoune focuses on utility.
I’m very excited about the healthy competition from Helix and all its momentum but as long as it’s not scriptable, it’s of limited use to me.

1 Like

Thx ill try it.

but as long as it’s not scriptable, it’s of limited use to me.

If it’s just a script, the abundance of vim/neovim plugins would be a good substitute, but why is kakoune’s %sh {} a good one? Also, I thought vim/neovim seems to have advantages in asynchronous processing, etc.