Donations

Hi there,

I really like Kakoune. There seems to be no way to donate to the project. Can you make one?
For maximum efficiency getting an invoice would be great.

With kind regards,

We are a community fan-run site, we are not an official part of the project (but @mawww is an administrator here). As for the main project, it has been brought up a few times, not sure where @mawww falls on the topic.

Hello,

Glad to see you enjoy Kakoune,

I am not against donations, but I dont know what to do with them, as I see basically two options:

• Reinvest them into Kakoune somehow, which means I need to track Kakoune’s money, but I dont really have a lot of expenses really related to Kakoune (just kakoune.org domain and a small server running there)
  • Take them as a gift, but I dont know how to distribute them among contributors, it seems like an unsolvable problem to decide what a “fair” distribution is, and quite some work to distribute donation money around.

Seeing that I dont really need the money anyway (although I appreciate the gesture), I did not encourage donations.

If we can solve this, then we can setup something for donations, but frankly its not been a high priority thing for me, I’d be happy with users writing blog posts about Kakoune instead of donating money.

That said, I am sure @robertmeta has expenses running community sites, and I’d be ok with parts of Kakoune donations going to that.

@mawww what about the idea of donating money to some organization that helps fight cancer or other problems? E.g. we donate to you, you donate to organization, and report to community at year’s end or something like that.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what Bram Moolenaar has been doing with Uganda: https://www.vim.org/sponsor/index.php

1 Like

Wow. I’d be happy if the money landed in your pocket @mawww. But I’d be happy too if I were to donate to a charity of your choosing.
Just out of curiosity, how much time are you spending on Kakoune? That can’t be a trivial amount.

Shut up and take my money!

Use it to make parties or whatever you like…

Kakoune is the way terminal editor should be and it has to be rewarded.

1 Like

People could donate for specific features to be implemented, or bugs to be fixed. Something like Issuehunt, for example.

I think it solves the problem of distributing the money between contributors to some degree. And it will also give the donors the feeling that the donations to go the things they find important.

1 Like

Open Source Collective a non-profit working for the common interests of those who create and use open source software.

[They] make it easy for you to receive and disburse money without having to worry about accounting, invoicing, or setting up a legal entity or bank account for your project. You and other contributors can easily get reimbursed for expenses or paid for your time by submitting an invoice through your Collective.

Open Collective blogs:
Webpack
Babel