Ergonomic keyboards?

I use a WASD VP3 keyboard. I tend to prefer keyboard that follow the usual key layout as I fear not being able to use regular keyboards if I get too used to a fancy layout one.

3 Likes

It’s not ergonomic keyboard, just an ordinary mechanical one. I’m also using mechanical keyboard, and find it to be easier on fingers, compared to regular membrane based keyboard, however ergonomic keyboards are designed to prevent Carpal tunnel syndrome, as well as some other possible issues. Up to this point only Ergodox and Kinesis keyboards that were listed are ergonomic ones.

1 Like

Good point, I did not read the topic carefully enough :slight_smile:

I have been tempted to try a split keyboard like the kinesis freestyle, as it seems that would not deviate too much from the regular keyboard layout (except for hand spacing), but never got to try that.

1 Like

FYI, I didn’t get an ortholinear keyboard for a long time because I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to type on a normal one – and that was true for the first few months. Now I can switch without a problem, even though the keys are mapped differently. Escape is at my right thumb with my ErgoDox, and it’s on the menu bar thingy on my macbook. Z and / double as my control keys on my ErgoDox and I use the normal control keys on my laptop.

But it’s just not a problem, strangely enough.

EDIT: Related: I can no longer use Vim for even the most basic things, since a week after I started using Kakoune. Why is this different? No idea.

4 Likes

Update on my own keyboard hunt: after doing some research, I became totally hooked on the idea of trying something with concave keywells, so I ordered a Kinesis Advantage 2 with the hope that it will tide me over until I can take the time to build a Dactyl, which I’d also really love to try. Apparently you can flash QMK firmware on the Advantage, which means I can even get things like dual-function keys on it if I’m so inclined.

EDIT: Looks like you need to physically replace the microcontroller on the Advantage before you can flash QMK firmware, just to be clear.

Just noticed, you are a fellow Niz user! I use 35gf with the higher accutation point (even lighter). I have never found a keyboard I enjoy nearly as much as the Niz. I currently have 3 of them (about to order a 4th). 2x Niz 84-EC(S) and 1x Niz 84-EC Pro.

1 Like

Really enjoying the Kinesis Advantage 2 so far. I’m coming to suspect that a lot of the RSI issues I was having were largley due to hyper-extension of my fingers and wrists, so it seems like major boon that all the keys in the curved keywells more or less fall along the natural curved trajectory that my fingertips traverse as they pivot around my joints.

1 Like

Last weekend, I built a Corne. It’s working nicely, but I’m still getting used to it.

SA Symbiosis 2.0 Keycaps.

3 Likes

Nice, split ergo gang! I built an Iris a few months back and the biggest game changer for ergonomics for me was having access to Ctrl/Shift/Alt from the thumbs. I wasn’t sure I would be OK without a num row, but I think I will try going without for my next one, along with a low profile case and Kailh Choc switches.

One downside is I keep tweaking my keymap every few weeks and then I have to spend a couple of days getting used to the changes.

1 Like

Nice! Those thumb keys look like my partner’s G20s. What does the rotary encoder do?

was thinking to get this kb myself. How’s the experience so far?

Yes, those are G20s! I saw it on someone’s post on Reddit and they are much more comfortable on the sides of the thumbs than the DSA keycaps.

Rotary encoder is set for mouse wheel scroll by default, which has the advantage of smoothly scrolling and being usable everywhere (Kakoune, tmux etc.) as opposed to arrow keys or PgUp/Down. (Granted, after I got the trackball the mouse is easier to reach than before, so this is less useful.) The downside is that the mouse cursor has to be on the window to scroll. It’s used for volume control, horizontal scroll and tmux window switching on other layers, but those only get occasional use.

Worth sharing here: awesome-keyboard.

I wanted one of thises too :stuck_out_tongue: if you mind I ask a few question:
Do you recommand has a first ergo keyboard ?
Don’t you miss a row sometime ?
Would you feel comfortable throwing it in your backpack on a daily basis ?

@scr switching to any ergo keyboard will be hard at first. Switching first to an ErgoDox, then to a Corne like I did after a few months would be easier, but cost prohibitive. I really don’t know how to give a better answer? There’s a SplitKb discord that you can join, at I think it has some new Corne users that you can ask.

I don’t miss the number row at all. Maybe once a month, probably when I’m tired, I try to hit a symbol on the missing top row. I type a lot so this not much. I’m happy with my symbol layer, (where exclamation point, etc., are now) and usually don’t have to think about where the keys are now. Although if I try to think about it, I get confused! (Note that every year or two I accidentally try to make a double quote by typing Shift + 2, which is from the Commodore 64 keyboard, and I haven’t had one of those in 30 years.)

My Corne is pretty solid… I did reopen it to fix bad solder joints two times (and I have one more to do). You’ll definitely want the acrylic screen protectors – or the bento box that you can 3d print! – if you are throwing them in a backpack.

1 Like

As a small addition to the @eraserhd answer, there is now the moonlander, which can be considered the ErgoDox v2. Didn’t try it myself but it has great feedback on the mk community.

I have been going deeper down the rabbit hole these last few months, so I thought I would update with my latest setup:

Thanks to new firmwares and hardware, it is now very feasible to get a completely wireless setup that can connect to multiple computers over Bluetooth. This keyboard is using a pair of nice!nanos that can be used with the Pro Micro footprints that most DIY keyboards use (such as the Corne). It is running ZMK firmware where I get about 7-8 days of battery life before charging for 1 hour with the tiny 110 mah batteries that are visible under the nice!nanos. There are also a few ergonomic keyboards in the works (e.g. Corne-ish Zen as a premium example) with integrated Bluetooth controllers, so I think wireless ergonomic/split keyboards will be more commonplace pretty soon.

2 Likes

@bravekarma I give you +10 points for intimidating desk setup. No one will ever just sit and your desk and start typing! The trackball dwarfs the keyboards!

Based on the number of keys on that keyboard, I assume it has a lot of internal modes you switch between (by chording or toggle) – how does that mental model work when then you have modes in your editor as well – any mental conflicts or just feels natural?

1 Like

Definitely, that is one advantage disadvantage of the setup :smiley: Though things are improving a bit in the low profile keyboards front too, with legended versions of these very nice keycaps coming out.

Yes, I use 4 layers (including base), which includes a function layer with F keys, numpad, BT profile selection etc. that is not used frequently. I haven’t had much issue with mental conflicts with application shortcuts/modes. However my layout is “stateless,” by which I mean by that is I don’t use any leader/mode switch/sticky keys-like functionality, where tapping a key would change the state of the keyboard for consequent key press(es). In contrast all my layers are accessed while certain keys are being held, so maybe that helps alleviate potential confusion.

This thread is a little old, but I feel that it very well can be complemented by the mention of the UHK. It is a 60% split mechanical keyboard and has the killer feature of an awesome open source configuration tool called agent. It is built by a small company in Budapest. Right now my order is pending, since they worked on the keyboards second version this last year and got delayed due to covid issues I guess*. Gladly I will give an update as soon as I actually have that thing under my fingertips.

*frankly the wait has been frustrating, since shipment got delayed time and time again. But all signs point twoards a product of very high builtquality, so hopefully it will have been worth the while.

1 Like