• BBEdit
  • Textpad
  • Kate
  • Pico
  • Nano
  • Other

0 voters

If other – please let me know what.

I’m kinda bouncing between Vim and Emacs, as both of those has different ways to handle documentation, but both ways are effective and relatively simple. Still going to vote for Vim, because I’ve used it for longer time than Emacs, but to be fair, I’m not sure which one is better.

So, uh, I can’t help but notice Kakoune’s not eligible. :wink:

I’m a fan of the breadth and depth of Vim’s documentation, but I can’t honestly say I’ve studied the documentation of any other editor on this list. I assume Emacs’ documentation is in Texinfo format, though, so that’s probably a mark against it…

Intentionally – looking for outside models / guides / inspiration / ideas.

I think is very hard to top vim regarding documentation. Emacs documentation is not bad at all, but it’s very hard to consume and texinfo format is very bothersome.

What I like/hate about kakoune it that it does not need many documentation (thanks to discoverability and good design) but for the parts that are needed (expansions and other non-basic features) it’s a bit hard to find.

@xyuusha I challenge you. Giving the following arguments or selections One, Two and Three, answer the expansion of:

1. echo %reg(.)
  2. echo '%reg(.)'
  3. echo "%reg(.)"
  4. echo %~~~%arg(@)~~~
  5. echo "%arg(@)"

You have no Kakoune—No Kakoune? :scream_cat:—for trying, no cheating.

Syntax error are accepted answers.

I’m miserably failing this but I’ll try it anyway (and no kakoune? How I’m writing this then).

1. One
  2. ‘%reg(.)’
  3. One
  4. Syntax error
  5. One Two and Three

EDIT:
Yeah, I miserably failed.

1 Like

I have this picture of you trying. xD

Here are the answers:

1. echo %reg(.)
'One' 'Two and Three'

[✗] Returns the selection contents as a list.

2. echo '%reg(.)'
'%reg(.)'

[✓] Expansions are not processed inside single quoted strings.

3. echo "%reg(.)"
'One'

[✓] Surprisingly, double quoted strings will not group the elements of the register as a single argument, but expand to the value of the main register, equivalent to %val(main_reg_dot).

4. echo %~~~%arg(@)~~~
'~%arg(@)~'

[✗] Returns a literal string delimited by ~ and escaped by doubling the tilde characters. Syntax error was a trap lol.

5. echo "%arg(@)"
'One Two and Three'

[✓] Surprisingly and unlike %reg(.), double quoted strings will group the arg-list as a single argument.

1 Like

So… I presume 20% isn’t a passing grade… I got the first one right!

lol