Helix vs Kakoune

you can just make the plugin reloadable/idempotent and source it manually with source path/to/plugin/the-plugin.kak

:joy: it makes sense!
I can do it, thanks very much!

I guess I’ll throw in my 2 cents. I tried Helix and I didn’t like how I couldn’t customize it much. I also don’t particularly like how the plugin API will use Web Assembly. Feels like overkill and kind of silly to use Web Assembly for plugins for you non-web editor application, but maybe that’s just me.

If there’s one thing that Helix has that I wish Kakoune had was builtin tree-sitter integration. It seems to be a more efficient way of parsing syntax trees and highlighting syntax in an editor, but tree-sitter is an external dependency and requires it’s own dependencies, so integrating it into Kakoune would go against what Kakoune offers: minimal dependencies (pretty sure ncurses is one of the few dependencies, if not they only), minimal defaults and no large API for plugins, just an interface to the POSIX shell.

2 Likes

I think my post addresses that which you where asking about, sorry it was not indexed for you, anyhow, I surely did forgot to speak about helix, I think despite being more “user friendly” out of the box, it is a less penetrable editor for programmers, as the concepts you need to know to extend/customize are far more specific than lets say regular expressions and shell scripting, while tree sitter is way more efficient than regexes, it drifts away from the domain of a more “general knowledge”, when I got to kakoune, I just had to understand the way it was extended, and after I understood the api of the editor I was set to do wathever I wanted, with helix otoh, I couldn’t and I wouldn’t be able to do it at the start as I don’t know a thing about tree-sitter or wasm (for when the plugin system is finally done), it would be an interesting experience to learn this, but my point is that despite kakoune differing from helix on the out of the box experience focus, I think generally speaking kakoune will feel more like home. I think Helix has some very nice colorschemes tho… I second all @raiguard said btw.

I think it does not uses ncurses anymore :V

1 Like

@krobelus Thanks for your continued iteration on this! I noticed the feature not working as expected months ago and chalked it up to either our project’s bizarre loader system, or having expectations too high for a solo project.

I recently updated and was alerted to the improvement by seeing an unexpected dirty file in my git :laughing:

1 Like

We highly appreciate users reporting issues / complain if something doesn’t work like in other editors.
I had also hit this problem with lsp-rename repeatedly but never realized that the behavior was wrong. (I coped with it by running :wa after lsp-rename :frowning:)