So, I have to use Windows at work
I already have Msys2 installed for git and ctags, and I prefer it to Cygwin for a few other reasons.
I’m just posting this as a discussion for anyone who wants to try to run Kakoune on Msys2, as opposed to Cygwin.
If your curious, here are some of the differences between Msys2 and Cygwin.
To build on Msys2:
- install Msys2
pacman -S base base-devel msys2-devel gcc git ncurses-develto install build dependencies
- checkout Kakoune, and run the following to ensure UNIX line endings
git config core.autocrlf input rm -rf * git checkout .
- add the following lines under the Cygwin section of the Makefile:
else ifneq (,$(findstring MSYS_NT,$(os))) CPPFLAGS += -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 LIBS += -lncursesw -ldbghelp
MAKEFLAGS="$MAKEFLAGS -j$(($(nproc)+1))" make test
The build proceeds without problem (not even any warnings). Most of the tests pass, except the ‘indent’ tests and a few ‘regression’ tests.
- ConEmu doesn’t like any colorscheme other than default, but mintty is fine.
- Msys2 doesn’t support symlinks. there are two alternatives: copy instead; or use Windows cmd
mklinkutility to make native NTFS symlinks (note: I’ve heard there are some limitations to NTFS symlinks, but they seem to work well enough).
- For some reason indent related tests fail when using
make testnormally, but pass when using
makepkgwith the modified AUR PKGBUILD.