Select from autocomplete options

Hello there,

I’m new to kakoune and I need some help with the autocomplete feature. I can see kakoune gives me options as I type. However, no matter what I do I can’t seem to select any. I tried the arrow keys, hitting tab, combinations of alt+keys, etc. I think I am missing something obvious but can’t figure out what. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi, @mbenitez ! Welcome to our community!

To select something in the completion menu, you must press <c-n> (meaning Ctrl + n) to go to the next suggestion (goes forward), or <c-p> to go to the previous suggestion (goes backward).

If you find yourself trying to figure out which keys to press to perform something, you can access the documentation by pressing :doc keys<ret>, that is, execute the doc command on the prompt passing the keys argument, then press <return> to go to the Keys documentation page.

Specifically for your question, you can navigate to the Insert mode completion section of that page.

Hope it helps.

Hint: you can also write doc in the prompt, press space, and it will suggest the available pages in the documentation. You can see one of those pages is the keys page. If you then accept the suggestion, your prompt is now filled with doc keys. At this point, if you press space again, the prompt menu will autosuggest the sections inside the Keys page, including the Insert mode completion section.

Hello @gustavo-hms ,

Thank you very much for your reply. This is exactly what I was looking for. I was going crazy until now. Your heros greatly appreciated.

Looking at the doc option as you suggest I can see it was there all along.

Again, thanks for the help!

De nada! :wink:

Note that Kakoune is a bit inconsistent regarding keys for autocompletion. In insert mode, you must use <c-n> and <c-p>.

However, for autocompletion on the prompt, it’s <tab> and <s-tab> (shift + tab). See doc keys prompt-commands.

No problem. Muchas gracias. I landed in kakoune because I’m tired of bloated editors and IDEs. I plan on spending some time figuring out the program and my workflow. Next thing I have to determine is if I need to make any changes to key mappings. I use Colemak as my keyboard layout and have yet to get a feel for how it works with the default bindings.

Thanks again!

In addition, the wiki contains a kakrc snippet to let you use <tab> for both typing a Tab character and for navigating the completion menu.

Thanks @Screwtapello this is helpful. I will give it a go!