Ergonomic keyboards?

@scr switching to any ergo keyboard will be hard at first. Switching first to an ErgoDox, then to a Corne like I did after a few months would be easier, but cost prohibitive. I really don’t know how to give a better answer? There’s a SplitKb discord that you can join, at I think it has some new Corne users that you can ask.

I don’t miss the number row at all. Maybe once a month, probably when I’m tired, I try to hit a symbol on the missing top row. I type a lot so this not much. I’m happy with my symbol layer, (where exclamation point, etc., are now) and usually don’t have to think about where the keys are now. Although if I try to think about it, I get confused! (Note that every year or two I accidentally try to make a double quote by typing Shift + 2, which is from the Commodore 64 keyboard, and I haven’t had one of those in 30 years.)

My Corne is pretty solid… I did reopen it to fix bad solder joints two times (and I have one more to do). You’ll definitely want the acrylic screen protectors – or the bento box that you can 3d print! – if you are throwing them in a backpack.

1 Like

As a small addition to the @eraserhd answer, there is now the moonlander, which can be considered the ErgoDox v2. Didn’t try it myself but it has great feedback on the mk community.

I have been going deeper down the rabbit hole these last few months, so I thought I would update with my latest setup:

Thanks to new firmwares and hardware, it is now very feasible to get a completely wireless setup that can connect to multiple computers over Bluetooth. This keyboard is using a pair of nice!nanos that can be used with the Pro Micro footprints that most DIY keyboards use (such as the Corne). It is running ZMK firmware where I get about 7-8 days of battery life before charging for 1 hour with the tiny 110 mah batteries that are visible under the nice!nanos. There are also a few ergonomic keyboards in the works (e.g. Corne-ish Zen as a premium example) with integrated Bluetooth controllers, so I think wireless ergonomic/split keyboards will be more commonplace pretty soon.

2 Likes

@bravekarma I give you +10 points for intimidating desk setup. No one will ever just sit and your desk and start typing! The trackball dwarfs the keyboards!

Based on the number of keys on that keyboard, I assume it has a lot of internal modes you switch between (by chording or toggle) – how does that mental model work when then you have modes in your editor as well – any mental conflicts or just feels natural?

1 Like

Definitely, that is one advantage disadvantage of the setup :smiley: Though things are improving a bit in the low profile keyboards front too, with legended versions of these very nice keycaps coming out.

Yes, I use 4 layers (including base), which includes a function layer with F keys, numpad, BT profile selection etc. that is not used frequently. I haven’t had much issue with mental conflicts with application shortcuts/modes. However my layout is “stateless,” by which I mean by that is I don’t use any leader/mode switch/sticky keys-like functionality, where tapping a key would change the state of the keyboard for consequent key press(es). In contrast all my layers are accessed while certain keys are being held, so maybe that helps alleviate potential confusion.

This thread is a little old, but I feel that it very well can be complemented by the mention of the UHK. It is a 60% split mechanical keyboard and has the killer feature of an awesome open source configuration tool called agent. It is built by a small company in Budapest. Right now my order is pending, since they worked on the keyboards second version this last year and got delayed due to covid issues I guess*. Gladly I will give an update as soon as I actually have that thing under my fingertips.

*frankly the wait has been frustrating, since shipment got delayed time and time again. But all signs point twoards a product of very high builtquality, so hopefully it will have been worth the while.

1 Like