This plugin is an extension to already existing feature - modeline. I believe that Kakoune has the best modeline out there, because I’ve configured a lot of modelines myself in the past, and Kakounes’ one is the most flexible one. From best to worst: Kakoune, Tmux, Emacs, Vim, GNU Screen.
When I was using Vim I loved how my statusline looks with vim-airline plugin, which is viml rewrite of powerline. So I’ve decided to build my own powerline-like modeline for Kakoune, and after I did a prototype that worked for me I’ve thought to release it as a plugin.
This plugin features these cool things:
- Ability to toggle parts of powerline on and off
- Current git branch
- Ability to have context dependent powerline for different buffers
- Different separators, based on powerline extra symbols
- Automatically hide empty parts of powerline
- Dynamically switch separator style depending on surrounding colors
- Position in file in percents
Overall look can be found in readme at GitHub.
For future plans I think I’ll add a way of extending powerline with new modules, that can be defined in other plugins, and I’m currently thinking about a way of automatic truncation of powerline parts if It gets too long.