What do you call Kakoune users?

I feel like we need a name for Kakoune users:

• kakounites?

Khakis?

My partner says ā€œkakounas, duhā€

1 Like

That has a nice ringā€¦ Kakounas Matatas!

1 Like

Kakoune definition is explained on this page: https://wikimonde.com/article/FranƧais_de_Nouvelle-CalĆ©donie#Kakoune ā†’ a hard blow, a punch.

Below, thereā€™s another word, the verb Mouiller, which means giving a kakoune. So I guess a Kakoune user could be called a Mouilleur (a substantif which does not seem to exist by itself)

6 Likes

I am willing to get on the Mouilleurs bandwagon.

I like it as well, Iā€™ll give Mouilleurs my blessing.

1 Like

Iā€™d only ask for transcription, so I could say it right. Iā€™m already using it though, its awesome word

I belive itā€™d be /mu.jœŹ/. Google translate pronounces it correctly

1 Like

I know Iā€™m late for the party, but not a big fan of ā€œmouilleurā€ which would be ā€œmouilleuseā€ for a women.

ā€œMouillerā€ initially mean to get wet. Therefore or mouilleur is the one who get wet, which doesnā€™t sound so good. Worse for a mouilleuse, since ā€œmouilleā€ is also a slang word for the water comming from a part of the women anatomy that Iā€™m not gonna say here.

So as a french speaker, ā€œmouilleuseā€ definitely sound weird to my hear.

But I agree that is actually pretty cool when you know the meaning from nouvelle caledonie.

Is the debate still open ?
Should call boys and girls ā€œmouilleursā€ ?
Also the word might hard to spell for non-french speaker ?

I think so, as it hasnā€™t had much natural growth / use. Nicknames only work if embraced to a degree. I suspect this might have been a wiff for the reasons you mentioned, hard to spell, hard to say, feels unrelated to Kakoune at first glance.

That said ā€œVimmersā€ nor ā€œEmacsiansā€ never took off too much either.

Iā€™ve been going with kakodemons! :laughing: :smiling_imp:

4 Likes
Obligatory DOOM reference

2 Likes

Now I want to see coding timelapse in Kakoune with Doom musicā€¦

Obligatory kakouners

3 Likes

Tolerant.
Many thanks guys, its appreciated! :grin:

haha.

Now imagine youā€™re up late, late at night after coding all evening on kakouneā€¦ Youā€™re staring at the terminal with bloodshot eyes and suddenly you see

THIS

2 Likes

Iā€™m Japanese.
Coincidantally, pronouncing Kakoune as ā€œKako-uneā€ in Japan, it means ā€œLetā€™s write, shall we?ā€. Because of that, sounds so text editor to me, but at the same time it blocks my correcting my pronunciation to ā€œKak-oonā€.

16 Likes

Kako-une seems like a valid pronunciation to me. Itā€™s probably inevitable that newcomers who share my defaults for pronunciation will default to kak-oon.

I have always fallen into the kako-uno camp by default.